This chocolate covered nut mix was for a party I threw the other day. I wanted something nice for myself and a couple of other low carbers who were coming. I had recently stocked up on nuts and usually have a plate of 85% chocolate around the house so this was a fast and easy option.
This isn’t exact science, you can use whatever nuts you like but I’d stay away from the ones higher in carbs (like cashews) and whatever quantity you like, just watch that you have enough chocolate to cover all the nuts if you’re making a big batch.
– I used around 250-300 gr. mixed nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts) and a little shredded coconut. You can also use seeds.
– 1 plate (100 gr) 85% chocolate. Buy something decent 😉
– 1/2 cup sweetener, I used Stevia. Add more or less depending on the amount of nuts and how sweet you’d like it. Some people aren’t really fans of dark chocolate so they might want to add more sweetener or even some cream or cream cheese to soften the flavour of the chocolate covered nut mix. But that might turn out a little too soft unless you keep it in the fridge or freezer.
– Pinch of salt
– Chop your nuts coarsely. Heat a big pan and dry roast the nuts (and seeds if you’re using them), be very careful not to burn them, keep stirring and remove from heat if you think they’re going to burn. When they’re a darker/golden colour and smell nice they should be ready.
– Place the nuts (and seeds) in a bowl along with the shredded coconut if you’re using it. Let the mixture cool down.
– In a small pot melt the chocolate and add sweetener (and cream/cream cheese if you’re going for that) over low heat, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn. Add the salt.
– Pour the chocolate mixture over the nuts and mix well.
– If you’re using the little muffin liners for the chocolate covered nut mix put approximately 1 teaspoon of nut mixture in each and let cool. You can also skip the liners and put little piles of nut mixture on parchment paper or make a big chocolate nut cake out of the whole thing.
I didn’t calculate macros as I didn’t weight and measure, it was more of a “little bit of this, little bit of that”. So I’m not sure what the total net carb count is. Beware, there is a little bit of sugar in the chocolate so watch your portions. I did find that a couple of bites of these was enough chocolate fix for me so I wasn’t too worried. They kept nicely for 3 days, that’s when my kids found them and they magically disappeared. I’m sure they would have been fine in a sealed bag for a few more days at least so this is a nice treat to keep in your fridge.
I hope you enjoy my chocolate covered nut mix recipe 🙂