Most (if not all) diets function by reducing the calorie intake or other essential nutrients such as fats, carbohydrates or proteins. Ketogenic diets are no exception. They help you shed your weight with manipulating the intake of body nutrients; restricting carbohydrates and switching your body’s fuel from carbohydrates to fat. The Ketogenic diet term refers to production of ketones in the body or increasing the rate of fat break down.
The Ketogenic diet helps your body to break down the stored fat; this technique is useful in body building and reducing the fat simultaneously. As a body builder you should set your carbohydrate level around 20 %. However this figure can be adjusted depending on person to person. Below mentioned are some tips which will help in increasing your success while you are on the Ketogenic diet:
- Don’t neglect the fat – Our human body needs fuel to function. If you limit your carbohydrate intake during a Ketogenic diet, you have to provide an alternative fuel source, fat. You need to maintain the required balance. Try to eat good fats such as olive oils, seeds, avocado and keep a good ration between omega 3 and 6.
- Choose your liquor wisely – One of many advantages of the Ketogenic diet is that you can consume liquor (in moderation preferably haha 🙂 ). You can opt for drinks that have least quantity of sugar in it such as rum, scotch, brandy etc. Do some research, there are even some beers that are relatively low carb. Whenever you decide to consume these drinks be prepared for the hangover; these can be bad in the Ketogenic diet because some people get drunk more easily on the diet. Also, make sure you have some good food ready so you don’t get a craving and go out for hangover burger and fries!
- Always keep yourself hydrated – Your body sheds water on regular intervals on a Ketogenic diet. You need to maintain the level of water in your body. Some experts also recommend consuming a minimum of 3 liters of water every day to maintain the hydration levels in the body. If your body suffers dehydration then you might observe a increase in the colour of your urine. Try to drink water on regular intervals throughout the day and keep a bottle of water with yourself whenever you travel. Don’t forget to eat enough salt and minerals.
- Know your carb limit – Every human body is designed differently and you have to work according to your limits. Some people can sustain an extremely low-carbohydrate diet, consuming around of 15-20 grams of carbs every day. But not every person can diet to such extent. While on the Ketogenic diet, observe what levels your body adjusts to. Finding your carb limit is a matter of trial and error.
- Don’t lose your patience – The Ketogenic diet is quite known for instant results and weight loss because of the water weight your body drops in the first few weeks, but losing the rest of the weight requires time and is a slow process. Try to keep your patience if you do not get required results in time.
- Only eat if you’re hungry. Stop eating when you’re full. I know this sounds like common sense but try to really take the time to assess what your body’s telling you. I actually find it easier to listen to my body when I’m eating low carb.
I’ve already written a bunch of posts about the ketogenic diet, browse my site for recipes, tips, food lists and more 🙂