Low carb (keto / LCHF) lemony meatballs in a bacon and tomato sauce
A low carb (keto / LCHF friendly) recipe for lemon and parsley meatballs in a bacon and tomato sauce. Served over zucchini noodles and covered with lots of shredded parmesan cheese.
I really love this recipe, I got it from my mom (the higher carb version with bread, breadcrumbs, flour etc) and changed it up a bit to fit into my low carb / keto lifestyle. My husband and kids don’t eat low carb so I usually just make zucchini noodles for myself and cook spaghetti for them so we’re all happy. My kids love the meatballs and even my husband who’s not a big fan of minced beef likes them. I think it’s the lemon taste that makes them refreshing and the bacon in the sauce that ties it all together.
This was a perfect portion for me, my husband and 3 kids aged 4-11.
Perfect family dinner, even for high carb eating family members! I hope you enjoy it.
- Low carb (keto / LCHF) lemon and parsley meatballs in a bacon tomato sauce
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4 (enough for 2 adults and 3 kids)||15 minutes||25 minutes|
- 1 pound beef minced
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum (optional)
- 1,5 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons oregano
- 1.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind finely grated
- 2 teaspoons psyllium husk powder (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- 1 medium egg
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 slices bacon chopped into medium pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can tomatoes (whole, cubed etc, doesn't matter) read can for hidden sugar
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 1 cube vegetable or chicken stock cube (or 1 tablespoon bouillon powder)
- 100 ml boiled water
- 1-2 medium zuchhini julienne or cut into noodle size
- 2-3 tablespoons parmesan cheese coarsely grated (put more if you like)
- In a bowl, mix together: ground beef, guar gum, salt, oregano, pepper, grated lemon rind, psyllium husk, parsley, egg and heavy cream. (guar gum and psyllium is optional but helps keep the meatballs together). Mix well and make balls. I like them not too big so it's easier to fry them.
- In a large pan, melt the butter and fry the meatballs on medium hot heat until they're brown and a little crispy on all sides. Scoop them into a bowl but leave the butter and fat on the pan. (You can also bake them in the oven if you like.)
- Dissolve the stock cube in boiled water.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add bacon to the pan and fry until it's done but not too crispy. Add the minced garlic (make sure the pan isn't too hot or else it burns and turns bitter), then add the tomatoes, pepper and stock cube/water mixture.
- Stir well, add the meatballs back into the pan and let it simmer on a low heat for at least 10 minutes (more if you have large meatballs). If it starts to dry a lot, just add a little more water.
- Meanwhile, slice your zucchini to make noodles. I like to pat them dry afterwards with a paper towel.
- Put your meatballs in a bowl and put the zucchini on the pan (or if you like washing pans, just heat another one and add a little butter to fry the zuchhini). Stir it for 2-3 minutes, be careful not to overcook it (might turn mushy).
- Put the zucchini on a plate, pour the meatballs and sauce over and grate your parmesan cheese on top. By all means, smother it with parmesan if that's your thing, it's delicious :)
You might want to add an extra half can of tomatoes if you like a lot of sauce with your meatballs.